Tuesday, November 17, 2009

lange.31

A. Lange & Söhne is currently my favorite watch brand, and only the second watch brand I have ever fell for. Although I've been wanting the previously posted Cartier Tank Francaise since the beginning of high school, A. Lange & Söhne is in a whole different league, making Rolex feel like Timex. The Lange 31, shown below, was an engineering feat when it was released in 2007.


I always thought it would be neat to have a manual wind wristwatch, but this one takes it to a whole new level. The 270 degree arc measures how many days of energy are left, but to accomplish storing 31 days worth of energy after a single wind in a small wristwatch is unheard of; indeed, Luxist even quotes another watch maker as saying there's no way it seems possible


So beyond the beautiful minimalist inspired design, the watch is manual and incredibly one of a kind. Made from platinum and finished with a black crocodile strap, I fell for the watch before I saw the price, which would of caused me to move on. With a price tag of  $300,000, I'm sure you can negotiate a smaller figure, but whatever you pay, you must remember the small home you could of bought. But don't think what you see is all you get - go to the A. Lange & Söhne website to see what the watch looks like on the inside, it's nothing less than it's own piece of artwork, or watch a video that explains the making and perfection of the Lange 31.



1 comment:

  1. [...] 13Apr11 My favorite timepieces are usually simple and elegant (see A. Lange & Söhne and Patek Philippe) but I realized it’s wise to have a wide arsenal at hand. Different events [...]

    ReplyDelete